Art Markman does research on reasoning, decision making, and motivation. His current research explores influences of goal activation on preferences and effects of motivation and incentives on learning and cognitive performance. He has published over 125 scholarly works, including 7 books. He is co-author of a successful Cognitive Psychology textbook and is currently editor of the journal Cognitive Science.
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Markman, A. B. (2012). Smart thinking: Three essential keys to solve problems, innovate, and get things done. New York: Perigee Trade.
- Markman, A. B., & Wood, K. L. (2009). Tools for innovation: The science behind the practical methods that drive new ideas. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Medin, D., Ross, B. H., & Markman, A. B. (2004). Cognitive psychology (4th ed.). New York: Wiley.
- Woo-Kyoung, A., Goldstone, R. L., Love, B. C., Markman, A. B., & Wolff, P. (Eds.). (2005). Categorization inside and outside the laboratory: Essays in honor of Douglas L. Medin. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Brendl, C. M., Markman, A. B., & Messner, C. (2003). The devaluation effect: Activating a need devalues unrelated objects. Journal of Consumer Research, 29, 463-473.
- Brendl, C. M., Markman, A. B., & Messner, C. (2001). How do indirect measures of evaluation work? Evaluating the inference of prejudice in the Implicit Association Test. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 81(5), 760-773.
- Grimm, L. R., Markman, A. B., Maddox, W. T., & Baldwin, G. C. (2009). Stereotype threat reinterpreted as a regulatory mismatch. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 96(2), 288-304.
- Kim, K., Grimm, L. R., & Markman, A. B. (2007). Self-construal and the processing of covariation information in causal reasoning. Memory and Cognition, 35(6), 1337-1343.
- Kim, K., & Markman, A. B. (2006). Differences in fear of isolation as an explanation of cultural differences: Evidence from memory and reasoning. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 42, 350-364.
- Maddox, W. T., Baldwin, G. C., & Markman, A. B. (2006). A test of the regulatory fit hypothesis in perceptual classification learning. Memory and Cognition, 34(7), 1377-1397.
- Markman, A. B., Baldwin, G. C., & Maddox, W. T. (2005). The interaction of payoff structure and regulatory focus in classification. Psychological Science, 16(11), 852-855.
- Markman, A. B., & Brendl, C. M. (2005). Constraining theories of embodied cognition. Psychological Science, 16(1), 6-10.
- Markman, A. B., Brendl, C. M., & Kim, K. (2007). Preference and the specificity of goals. Emotion, 7(3), 680-684.
- Markman, A. B., & Loewenstein, J. (2010). Structural comparison and consumer choice. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 20, 126-137.
- Markman, A. B., Maddox, W. T., & Worthy, D. A. (2006). Choking and excelling under pressure. Psychological Science, 17(11), 944-948.
Department of Psychology
University of Texas
1 University Station, A8000
Austin, Texas 78712
- Phone: (512) 232-4645
- Fax: (512) 471-6175